The Kingston Jazz Society in collaboration with the Musiikki Cafe (73 Brock Street) is offering a special mini-fest, “Autumn in Kingston”, to honour a new season, but also to showcase a diverse group of Kingston-area musicians who perform in the many venues offering jazz, but are in this mini-fest being brought together to entertain us.
“ Autumn in Kingston” occurs on two Fridays (20 and 27 September) at Musiikki Cafe. Each Friday has two performance sets:
* 5-7 pm The Pilot Series that showcases Kingston area innovative instrumentalists, vocalists and percussionists.
* (20 September) Chantal Thompson (vocalist) and Rich Bannard (percussionist) will have special guests joining into their pioneering integration of vocals and percussion. This band captivated many this Summer at Porch Jazz, Chien Noir and The Firebirds.
* (27 September) The exciting new Queen’s music student and saxophonist, Helena Hannibal, with an exciting band of Kingston area musicians. Helena’s recent performances with The Firebirds, the Monday Musiikki Jazz Band and the Twentieth Century Band at Montes have made her the talk of the jazz community.
* Autumn in Kingston continues over 20 and 27 September with its Headliners series – two contemporary bands that have entertained many Kingstonians with their straightahead mix of rhythm, melody and harmony.
* (20 September 8-10.30 pm) The Paul Morrison Trio. Paul’s blend of progressive piano compositions and stellar technique have resonated with Kingston jazz audiences. His trio has Paul Clifford (bass) and Mike Cassells (percussion) backing him. Each of them is a leader of many bands and are recognized as masters.
* (27 September 8-10.30 pm) The Peshtones. This quartet focuses on on improvising on standards and has enthralled Kingston area jazz audiences with its Chet Baker tribute and their improvisations on the 50’s/60’s Great American Songbook. The Peshtones feature Andy Pesz (drums), Joel Williams (guitar), James Wanamaker (sax) and Paul Clifford (bass).
There will be special band appreciation jars and pay-what-you-can jars through which you can contribute to these artists and the Kingston Jazz Society.
Join these marvellous jazz artists at Musiikki Cafe for the Kingston Jazz Society’s mini-fest, “Autumn in Kingston”!